An Anime Fansub Group
On irc.rizon.net in #anbudom
ANBU
Ansatsu Senjutsu Tokushu Butai

12 May, 2011

And another one bites the dust…

Posted by: asunder In: Announcements

Earlier this week, I got word that our translator for Hourou Musuko (“Usagi-chan” ) is retiring asap :(
What is it about summer and translators retiring ?? Anyway, We wish him luck and all that jazz.

Contrary to my previous blag comment, It appears now that we will not be continuing Hourou Musuko/Wandering Son… (unless a new translator magically appears out of thin air.)

Other project tidbits/updates:
Amagami ep 26 – “Usagi-chan” was also translating this series…so we need a kind soul to finish the BD special episode.

Sunred – waiting on our borrowed translator to finish up some frostii stuff before he tackles the last two episodes. /me keeps his fingers crossed.

Dragon Quest – Expect ep 08 soon ™

Other stuff – some more stuff in the pipeline, hopefully a few more surprise releases before my own quasi-retirement.

- asunder out

22 Responses to "And another one bites the dust…"

1 | nesguy

May 13th, 2011 at 12:27 am

I’m very much looking forward to the next episode of Dragon Quest. I was very afraid that was one of the ones getting the axe.

I’m curious, will DQ continue after your semi-retirement? Obviously, I don’t know the group make-up other than what you have on the “staff” page, but you seem to be the driving force on the distros (or at least the most public face). It’d be sad to see the group scatter or crumble with all of the excellent shows that are currently being put out.

Whatever happens, thank you for all the hard work. I definitely appreciate all that’s been put out so far.

2 | voor

May 13th, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Just…wow. Guess I should’ve known better. What is it about flaky translators?

Thanks for all the Hourou Musuko episodes that you did manage to release. They set a high standard that no other group who worked on the series was able to meet, IMO.

3 | DeadlyOats

May 14th, 2011 at 12:40 am

Thanks for the news updates. Thanks for the subs. And thanks….. for the memories…. (alright, now I’m being silly.) But really, thanks for bringing us quality subs that made watching anime fun to do. Whatever you guys do from here on out – individually, or as a group – I hope you enjoy it as much as you did subbing anime.

4 | YuuChanneru

May 14th, 2011 at 8:39 am

I could translate Hourou Musuko for you. I have read the whole manga up to this point…the problem is that I won’t be home until next month. Well, and my English isn’t perfect, somebody would have to check my English grammar for me. Hmm, but if you still don’t find a translator I could do it for you starting the 29th.

Greetings, Yuu

5 | Spinarakk

May 15th, 2011 at 6:01 am

Why don’t you just use CR’s translation as a base and edit the hell out of it until it meets the standards of all your previous episodes?

I really want to archive your releases as I find that your typesetting, karaoke and encoding is better than the rest.

6 | DeadlyOats

May 15th, 2011 at 10:24 pm

That smacks of half-assed-ism…. ANBU isn’t about half-assedness….

Besides, I’ve read in places that some of CR’s translations leave much to be desired in some places…. and ANBU doesn’t strike me as the type who copies off of someone else’s test paper anyway.

7 | Spinarakk

May 16th, 2011 at 1:18 am

It’s supposed to be a last resort solution, that’s why I said to edit the hell out of it and make it almost their own. It’s like instead of copying someone else’s answers, you instead copy their method and you derive the answer yourself.

8 | seven_arc

May 16th, 2011 at 3:56 am

Thx for giving us an excellent subs of Hourou Musuko up till now… Very enjoyed your releases. Well, I’m still hoping you could find another translator and finish this project. But if it isn’t, it can’t be helped…

9 | Epyon

May 17th, 2011 at 9:22 am

*Still waiting for the last two sunred eps like a good boy*

I don’t even know if there are other groups who are doing/have done sunred, but I doubt any of them could do better. Especially the way you guys make the translations flow nice and smooth, even with the puns and all :D

10 | WhiteCat

May 25th, 2011 at 3:39 am

… come on magical thin air…. :)

Thanks for update – and also for doing the show. For that matter, all the shows you do. You guys are a fave for me and I really appreciate you.

11 | Bob Corrigan

May 26th, 2011 at 8:38 pm

SUNRED SUNRED SUNRED!

(waiting!)

Thanks, ANBU!

bob

12 | ryu15

May 31st, 2011 at 6:42 pm

@bob
I wanted to shout Sunred too!

Seriously the waiting is killing me. But hearing from time to time that you didn’t forgot about Sunred is reassuring enough. And when you have good excuse it’s magnificent you naughty nolives you ; ).

PS. I have a selfish request. Please tag next annoucement regarding Sunred (like this) with adequate label. You can tag it with others when post adresses other anime (like this) for selfish comfort of bastards concerned with only one series (like me).

13 | DeadlyOats

June 1st, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I know that fansub groups, like yours, have lives that evolve and change. Some of the members are going to college, and whatnot. Some of the members have married and now have a first kid, etc, etc. So, you have less and less time to spare for subbing. In addition to that, some of the members just get tired of subbing and want to do other things. I get that sense from your message. Do you guys recruit new members, to carry on the torch for when older members decide to leave subbing? Like having an apprentice? Or a line of succession? So that the group lives on beyond its individual members?

I don’t know if what I asked made sense, or if it’s even possible, but I figured I’d ask.

14 | asunder

June 7th, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Some varied answers to the comments: as for my own retirement: the crux of it is I’m transitioning to another stage of my life where my free time and sanity will be at an absolute minimum. As I mentioned in the original post, we still have a few projects in the pipeline that I’d like to get done. Heck there’s a really kickass project I want to start in another month >_>.

“I’m curious, will DQ continue after your semi-retirement?” <- I'm curious about that too :)

"Do you guys recruit new members, to carry on the torch for when older members decide to leave subbing?" <- yeah we generally pillage other sub groups for staff ;P …lots of former aone and menclave members were absorbed in the last 2 years.

“So that the group lives on beyond its individual members?” <- things usually work out, otherwise we just will revive later.

15 | potaks

June 10th, 2011 at 9:37 am

how about fusing with gotwoot

16 | asunder

June 10th, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Fusion of two groups may work as in what happened with Frothbite and Ureshii.

But honestly, we would only entertain that idea with groups/members that we’ve worked with in the past. Combining groups is like marriage.
You want some degree of familiarity and compatibility before tying the knot. Plus it helps if the other party is hot :P .

17 | potaks

June 12th, 2011 at 4:31 am

lol

18 | z-man

June 18th, 2011 at 2:42 pm

DQ ep 8 has officially stepped in to fill the void left by Duke Nukem Forever.

19 | tenkenX6

June 24th, 2011 at 7:21 am

Hmm…if you guys haven’t found a translator for episode 26 of Amagami SS yet, I just might be willing to offer my help on it. I’ve watched all 25 episodes of the series and enjoyed it, so I wouldn’t mind working on it. I’ve got some fansubbing experience under my belt, if you’re curious. Feel free contacting me via e-mail, if my offer seems at all interesting to you. Thanks.

20 | ArabianSwan

July 2nd, 2011 at 6:11 am

Sad to hear that the few good ones are going to leave the scene for more immature ones to come into >_>
It has been always fun to work with you asunder ^^ sadly we parted our own ways and now the gap will be wider with you getting crazy-super-busy…
o/ to some future collaboration ;)

21 | rednusa

July 2nd, 2011 at 1:47 pm

asunder sucks!!!
Heil reinux!!
huhuhu

22 | Magnus

May 15th, 2012 at 6:22 am

I need Astro Fighter Sunred to LIVE!!!
Hope you manage to finish it soon, would be an awesome summer if it came out!

Comment Form

• DocThunderpants: Hey guys, just in case anyone still keeps checking this post for updates I've found another source for Dragon Quest subs. http://www.youtube.com/user
  • tenkenX6: Hmm... I see. Thanks for the info. If there ever is an ANBU revival of some sorts, I wouldn't mind helping out in some way. Not sure how much help I c
  • FalseDawn: You'd have to go poke Asu about that one. As far as I know, the whole team still exists in some form or another (not sure about the TL) and some of u

Flickr PhotoStream

[ANBU]_Astro_Fighter_Sunred_49_.mkv_snapshot_10.20_[2011.02.05_08.09.10][ANBU-Frostii]_Kimi_ni_Todoke_-_22_[65509181].mkv_snapshot_01.34_[2011.01.29_22.03.46][ANBU-Frostii]_Kimi_ni_Todoke_-_22_[65509181].mkv_snapshot_13.49_[2011.01.29_22.02.08][ANBU-Frostii]_Kimi_ni_Todoke_-_22_[65509181].mkv_snapshot_01.03_[2011.01.29_21.04.06][ANBU-Frostii]_Kimi_ni_Todoke_-_22_[65509181].mkv_snapshot_06.46_[2011.01.29_21.14.52][ANBU-Frostii]_Kimi_ni_Todoke_-_23_[09251430].mkv_snapshot_18.20_[2011.01.29_21.28.24][ANBU-Frostii]_Kimi_ni_Todoke_-_23_[09251430].mkv_snapshot_20.06_[2011.01.29_21.27.50][ANBU-Frostii]_Kimi_ni_Todoke_-_22_[65509181].mkv_snapshot_03.46_[2011.01.29_21.08.48][ANBU-Frostii]_Kimi_ni_Todoke_-_23_[09251430].mkv_snapshot_04.13_[2011.01.29_21.31.02][ANBU-Frostii]_Kimi_ni_Todoke_-_22_[65509181].mkv_snapshot_03.38_[2011.01.29_21.08.31][RC-05]_Kimi_ni_Todoke_-_22_[6BFF153F].mkv_snapshot_12.32_[2011.01.29_18.17.22][ANBU-Frostii]_Kimi_ni_Todoke_-_23_[09251430].mkv_snapshot_02.01_[2011.01.29_21.31.55][ANBU-Frostii]_Kimi_ni_Todoke_-_22_[65509181].mkv_snapshot_03.33_[2011.01.29_21.08.23][ANBU]_Hourou_Musuko_-_01_[720p][04B96D34].mkv_snapshot_02.27_[2011.01.22_07.41.48][ANBU-Frostii]_Kimi_ni_Todoke_-_19_[B4E08AA2].mkv_snapshot_14.00_[2011.01.04_23.43.20]

IRC